Children go through varying sleep cycles throughout their childhood. At 5 Little Monkeys we want our customers to understand the sleep cycles of children and how to accommodate a good night’s sleep with a great sleep system for kids and a childrens mattress made for them.
How Long are Children’s Sleep Cycles?
Depending on a child’s age, they will need more or less sleep. 5 Little Monkeys has broken down the average time frame of a child’s sleep cycle based on age.
- Newborn Babies: Newborns will sleep on and off throughout the day and night. They have active and quiet sleep. Newborns will move through active and quiet sleep cycles that typically last about 30-50 minutes.
- Babies 3-6 Months: By three months, your baby will start to develop day and nighttime sleeping patterns. They will usually sleep more at night and still have 2-3 naps during the day that may span up to two hours.
- Babies 6-12 Months: At six months, most babies are sleeping through the night. These babies should still have 1-2 naps during the day that may last between 1-2 hours.
- Toddlers: Toddlers need about 12-13 hours of sleep every day, including naps and nighttime. They should have a 1-2 hour nap during the day.
- Preschoolers: Preschool children need about 11-13 hours of sleep. Some preschoolers will still have a nap every day that may last between 1-2 hours.
- Children 5-11 Years Old: Children between the ages of 5-8 years old need about 10-11 hours of sleep every night, while children 9-11 years old need 9-11 hours of sleep per night. Normally, after the age of five, a child will no longer need a daytime nap.
- Teenagers: Children who are entering puberty typically need about 8-10 hours of sleep per night. At this age, your child may want to go to be later and wake up later. It’s important to ensure they are getting the full amount of sleep their body needs.
Contact 5 Little Monkeys to Order a Mattress for Kids!
It’s always important to ensure your child is getting a good night’s sleep, no matter their age or sleep cycle. Order the best mattress for kids from 5 Little Monkeys today. We will provide a great childrens mattress and sleep system for your child. Contact our team today!