Best Mattress for Kids
There are many things that could be keeping your little ones up at night, and several easy steps you can take to improve your child’s sleep environment. At 5 Little Monkeys we believe that a good night’s sleep begins with a foolproof sleep system, and a kids memory foam mattress designed to support growing bodies. Take a look at these 6 reasons your child might have trouble sleeping, and how you can help.
Why Can’t My Child Sleep?
Here are six reasons why your child may have trouble sleeping:
- Being Over Tired: It may seem counterintuitive, but being too tired can actually prevent children from falling asleep. Toddlers and preschool-age children require between 11 and 14 hours of sleep each day, including naps and nighttime. If they aren’t getting enough rest, they will be restless at bedtime.
- Separation Anxiety: Children can become dependent on endless stories, cuddles, and attention from parents until they fall asleep, and get stuck in a cycle of neediness right before bed. It is important to set firm limits on how long you linger so that your child can learn to fall asleep on their own.
- No Bedtime Routine: Too much excitement and unpredictability right before bed can have your child too riled up to fall asleep. We recommend sticking to a consistent bedtime routine to soothe pediatric insomnia, for example, a warm bath, pajamas, teeth brushing, story time, then lights out.
- Naps Are Key: If your child is not napping adequately during the day or their nap is skipped completely, they may have trouble falling asleep at night. A good nap during the day will help your child fall asleep easier when it's time for bed.
- Bad Dreams: Nightmares are a common occurrence for children. Soothe them back to sleep with a simple back rub and reassuring words, but try not to dwell on the details of the bad dream. Avoid junk food before bed as indigestion can cause nightmares.
- Allergies, Asthma & Colds: Respiratory difficulties can cause coughing that keeps kids awake at night, blocked airways, headaches and fatigue. Promote better sleep by choosing a hypoallergenic mattress, and washing bedding regularly. If your child is experiencing symptoms of allergies or asthma, make an appointment with a pediatrician for care.
Try our Sleep System Risk Free!
Overhaul your child’s sleep system with our children’s mattress, and see how our mattress compares to others on the market. 5 Little Monkeys is so confident that our products will noticeably improve your child’s sleep that we offer a 100 night trial, risk free. Visit our blog for more info on healthy sleep habits, read our reviews, and contact us with any questions!