There are many reasons why children may not be able to sleep well. 5 Little Monkeys believes a good night’s sleep begins with a great sleep system for kids and a childrens mattress that works for their little body. There are a few things parents can do to help encourage sleep in their child and avoid pediatric insomnia.
Why Can’t My Child Sleep?
Here are six reasons why your child may have trouble sleeping:
- Being Over Tired: Toddler and preschool children need between 11-14 hours of sleep every day, including naps and nighttime. If they are not getting an adequate amount of sleep, they will be over tired and have a difficult time falling asleep.
- Separation Anxiety: Sometimes children are dependent on their parents at nighttime for stories, cuddles, and even waiting in their room until they fall asleep. We recommend limiting the amount of time spent before bedtime together. Your child should be able to fall asleep on their own.
- No Bedtime Routine: If there is too much excitement prior to bedtime, you child may not be able to fall asleep. 5 Little Monkeys recommends a strict and consistent bedtime routine to soothe pediatric insomnia. For example, a warm bath, pajamas, teeth brushing, story time, lights out.
- Naps Are Key: If your child is not napping adequately during the day or their nap is skipped completely, they may have trouble falling asleep at night. A good nap during the day will help your child fall asleep easier when it's time for bed.
- Bad Dreams: Nightmares are common in children. You can be there to soothe them back to sleep with a simple back rub. But do not dwell on the details of the bad dream, this may cause further pediatric insomnia.
- Allergies, Asthma & Colds: Anything that may block your child’s airway could prevent them from sleeping. If your child is experiencing symptoms of allergies or asthma, seek medical care from your pediatrician.
Shop 5 Little Monkeys for the Best Kids Mattress!
If you need a new sleep system for your kids, check out our children’s mattress, or learn more about how our mattress compares to others on the market. 5 Little Monkeys is so confident that your child will experience a noticeable difference in their sleep with our product, we offer a risk-free trial for 100 nights. Check us out & help your child sleep through the night!