Shopping for a children's bed isn't as easy as it seems. Unfortunately, many beds marketed as children's mattresses are simply beds designed for adults. That's an issue, because adults and children's have fundamentally different needs when it comes to sleep: kids need different kinds of support for their growing bodies. At 5 Little Monkeys, we've spent years building and perfecting our own children's mattress and know exactly what to look for when choosing a kids bed. So with that in mind, here are a few must-have certifications you should look for in any children's mattress.
The Most Important Kids Mattress Certifications
Between materials, proper skeletal support, and comfort, there's a lot that goes into making a children's mattress that truly benefits your child's sleep. But one simple thing to look for is certifications: these are clear-cut, easy to find labels that tell you right off the bat if the mattress is made to your quality standards. If you're on the hunt for a new children's mattress for your little one, here are the certifications we most recommend looking for.
- CPSIA: This means that the bed meets the regulatory standards of the Consumer Product Safety Commission, and it's non-negotiable that your child's mattress comply.
- OKEO-TEX: This signifies that the mattress is free from toxic chemicals like formaldehyde, cadmium, nickel, and others. It also signifies that the product meets relevant standards in both the US and Europe.
- CertiPur-US: This is another certification showing the product is free from mercury, lead, PBDEs, formaldehyde, phthalates, and other toxins.
- 16 CFR Part 1632: Fire safety is vital for a kids bed, and this certification shows that the mattress is resistant to ignition by lit cigarettes.
- 16 CFR Part 1633: Hand in hand with the previous, this certification shows the mattress meets or exceeds all relevant safety standards for flame retardance and flammability.
- Proposition 65: Prop 65 isn't a specific certification, but rather a law requiring manufacturers to disclose any chemicals known to cause cancer, birth defects, or reproductive harm in their products. Any child's mattress you consider should comply 100% with Prop 65 and disclose any of these chemicals, if they're present.
Try Our Children's Mattress Today
While this list is by no means all-inclusive, ensuring a kids mattress meets these certifications is an easy way to start the process and eliminate any low-quality mattresses off the bat. As you might have guessed, the 5 Little Monkeys Sleep System complies with all of these – and even more importantly, it's designed from the ground up to help children get healthy, restful sleep. Interested in trying our kids bed for yourself? Take the 100-night rest test and try the 5 Little Monkeys bed today.