When it comes to sleep, one of the first major changes in your child's life is the transition from a crib to a big kid bed. At 5 Little Monkeys, we've been through this process more than once with our own children, and we can say that while it can be difficult, it doesn't have to be. With a parent's care and the right tactics, you can help your child transition to a new children's bed seamlessly.
How to Help Your Child Transition from Crib to Regular Children's Bed
If your child is getting close to ready to move from the crib to a new children's mattress, we can help. Follow these tips to make the transition as smooth as possible:
- Go at Their Pace: Contrary to what you may have heard, there is no set timeline for when to make the change. Children can make the transition anytime from age 2 to age 3 1/2, and it's important to go at your child's pace. Remember – every child is different, and there's nothing wrong with doing things later or earlier.
- Pillows Are Your Friend: From a kid's perspective, part of the difficulty comes from moving from the safe walls of a crib to a big open bed. Lining the edges of your child's bed with pillows can help them get used to the new boundaries and feel more comfortable in the new kids mattress.
- Child-Proof Everything: Night wandering is always a concern when switching to a big kid bed, but child-proofing your child's room can help quell this. Put a child lock on doors, closets, drawers, and any other distractions in the room, then use a baby monitor to see how your child is doing. Often, kids will simply get back in bed if they realize there's nothing else to do.
- Stay Consistent: Switching beds is a big change in your child's life, and it'll be even more difficult if other parts of the routine are shifting. Try to avoid making the switch if there are other big transitions happening like potty training or starting school. Try to keep everything about your child's routine consistent while they're changing beds.
- Choose the Right Bed: It'll be easier for your child to transition if they're moving into a comfy children's bed that's designed to support them. Look for a high-quality, purpose-built children's mattress that will give your child's body what it needs for good sleep – and of course, our own 5 Little Monkeys bed makes a great option.
- Make it an Exciting Experience: Before your mattress arrives, start talking to your child about their brand new big girl/boy bed that is coming! At 5 Little Monkeys, we have designed everything from the adorable box, and opening the mattress, to the little stuffed monkey inside to be an exciting, interactive experience for your child. When the box arrives to your home, children immediately know it’s for them. There is even a cut out door on the side so they can play in the box while mom and dad set up the bed. By hyping up the arrival of their new bed, your child will be excited for his or her new mattress and look at sleeping in it as a fun new adventure.
Contact Your Kids Bedding & Sleep Experts
These strategies will make it easier for your child to comfortably transition into a new children's bed, and if you have any other questions about making the switch, we're happy to help. Feel free to contact us if you'd like advice on transitioning to a big kids bed or any other aspect of your child's sleep. We look forward to hearing from you, and we wish you luck in helping your child transition to their new children's bed.