When done correctly and appropriately, co-sleeping can be a positive experience for parents and very young children, but for most families there comes a time to help your child develop sleep independence, by sleeping alone. This transitional period can be difficult, but 5 Little Monkeys believes that with these tips in mind, along with our sleep system mattress designed just for kids, your child can make the leap.
Sleep Independence by Age 2-3
Most parenting experts and pediatricians recommend that children sleep in their own bed independently by age 2 or 3. Developing new nighttime rituals and sleep associations to replace those of a co-sleeping arrangement, is the most difficult but important step. 5 Little Monkeys recommends the following 5 tips to help you along the way.
- Eliminate Distractions: Make sure there are no strong distractions like a TV, computer, or tablet in the room at bedtime. Screen stimulation is known to make it difficult for children to fall asleep.
- Establish a Bedtime Routine: Form a bedtime routine for your child. This should normally consist of bathtime, pajamas, brushing teeth, and good-night stories. Parents should practice the bedtime routine consistently so that the child knows its bedtime and knows what to expect.
- Leave the Room: Try to leave the room before your child actually falls asleep, limiting the amount of attention they receive after the bedtime routine is complete. This will encourage independence.
- Sleep Associations: Sleep associations are perfectly fine, they are a normal way to trigger feelings of safety and sleepiness through familiar objects. If your child needs a blanket or a special stuffed animal to fall asleep, that association can become a part of the bedtime routine.
- Be Consistent: As a parent, you should be consistent with your actions, especially around bedtime. Children need consistency to thrive, and it helps them adapt to a bedtime routine and become sleep independent.
Try the Sleep System Risk Free
The foundation of healthy sleep habits in early childhood is a bed made specifically for kids. The 5 Little Monkeys mattress is engineered for toddlers and children, just the right size and density to support growing bodies. It is hypoallergenic and temperature-regulating for comfortable sleep that lasts through the night. Try it risk free for 100 nights, we are confident you’ll fall in love with it. Contact us if you have any questions, read our reviews, and visit our blog for more info!