Sleepwalking in children is not abnormal. Many children may end up sleepwalking or sleep talking at one point or another during their childhood. It’s difficult to “stop” a child from sleepwalking, but you can help them be more safe and help them relax more at bedtime. 5 Little Monkeys recommends trying the following tactics to help your child through their sleepwalking phase.
He Sleepwalking in Children & How to Help Them
Sleepwalking is not necessarily dangerous, but it’s important to take precautions to ensure your child is safe. First and foremost, 5 Little Monkeys suggests getting a great sleep system for kids and a children mattress that is made for them. Additionally, you can try the following safety tips:
- Never wake a sleepwalking child. Instead, try to gently guide them back to their room and bed.
- Lock the windows and doors throughout the house so your child cannot wander outside while sleepwalking
- Ensure your sleepwalker sleeps on the bottom bunk if they have bunk beds to prevent falls.
- Remove sharp or dangerous objects and toys from your child’s bedroom.
- Ensure your home is clutter free so your child doesn’t trip on something.
- Install safety gates around all stairs.
If your child is constantly sleepwalking, you should consult a pediatrician. Something else may be triggering your child’s sleepwalking. Additionally, you can try to prevent sleepwalking by having a strict bedtime routine, listening to relaxing music prior to bedtime, making your child’s bedtime earlier, avoiding liquids close to bedtime to decrease the likelihood of a full bladder, and ensuring your child is comfortable in their childrens mattress.
Order Your Sleep System for Kids from 5 Little Monkeys Today!
Every child is different and what works for one sleepwalking child may not work for another. If your child needs a new sleep system, contact 5 Little Monkeys for the best kids mattress! Our team will help you find a mattress for kids that is comfortable and will ensure a better night’s sleep.